Thursday, October 4, 2012

Play Dough {Toddler Activity}

We've been quite productive in the "toddler activity" department this week. This activity was super fun.  We made play dough. Little Man has never played with play dough, so it was a new experience for him. I was worried since he doesn't like his hands dirty, but I'm pretty confident he had a good time. I found this recipe for play dough through Pinterest. 

Supplies Needed:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
2 tsps cream of tartar
1/3 cup of salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
food coloring
 Once I had the play dough made, I gave him a color at a time to play with. I rolled some into little balls, and he immediately started stacking them. He tried, multiple times, to taste it. I tried to stop him...but he succeeded, and was pretty repulsed. He didn't try again. 
 I put out some cookie cutters, but he wasn't very interested. He couldn't quite figure it out, so I just let him explore. 
 Then daddy came to join the fun. He used the cutters to cut out all kinds of shapes. 
 I think his favorite part was definitely playing with the little balls. 
 And the bigger ones. 
 And then he discovered, if you drop them, they bounce a little and make a loud thud. That was fun!
 Here, he's looking at his daddy for permission to throw that ball at me. It takes no time at all for him to figure out he can throw anything. 
 I was trying to teach him how to roll the play dough in a ball himself. I'm not sure he got it, but he had fun trying.  
 I gave him a few "tools" to use. A plastic fork & spoon, some pieces of straw, & cookie cutters. Don't ask why I picked any of those items...I just wanted him to have fun exploring. 
And I do believe it was a success. We saved our play dough, and we're looking forward to playing with it again. 

1 comments:

The Links said...

I used to make it for my Kinder kiddos with a package of kool aid in it. I would turn pretty colors AND smell yummy!! Can't wait to try this with P-Man!!