Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Welcome Kaden!


If you read my blog, you know that I haven't bogged in a LONG time. Several months in fact. The last 6 months (yes, 6) of my pregnancy were miserable! And that's putting it nicely. During the course of those 6 months, I was in the hospital 4 times, had to wear a pump for 2 weeks that continuously pumped Zofran (for nausea and vomiting) into my stomach, got kidney stones and had to have surgery to put a stent in to unblock one of my kidneys, went on bed rest for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy, and lost a lot of weight. When I delivered at 39 weeks, I was 7 pounds under my starting weight. So...needless to say, it was not the most pleasant of experiences. While working, my days consisted of working and then I was in bed as soon as I got home. Once I was on bed rest, I spent all my time either in bed or on the couch. Blogging was at the absolute bottom of my to-do list. Besides that, I didn't have much to blog about other than being sick all day.

Labor & delivery were almost as traumatic as the pregnancy. I spent 14 hours in labor at home while the on-call doctor insisted that I was NOT in labor, just constipated, which is how I felt. However, when the pain became too much to bear and I hadn't felt my baby move, we decided something else was wrong and sped (literally) to the hospital. Micah was smart enough to grab our hospital bag, but it was missing some key items...like toothbrushes. My phone was left, the camera was left, the car seat was left. At this point we were in such a panic, we were just trying to get to the hospital...alive. Both Micah & I were in tears and praying the whole way. I don't think either of us were thinking labor, we were thinking something was wrong. My due date was still a week away and we were schedule to be induce the upcoming week, so in our heads, the birth of Kaden was still a ways off. When we got to the hospital, the first thing they did was hook up a monitor to check for a heartbeat. We were so relieved to hear everything was ok with our boy. Next the nurse decided to check me. I don't think she thought I was in labor either, but decided to check just in case. Boy were we all wrong. At some point my water had broke, and I was 7 cm dilated. And Kaden was really low. My first thought...."can I have meds, or is it too late." She assured me once I was admitted and in the room, I would get my epidural. Yeah...that didn't happen. From that point on, I was in labor. We got to a room, and a flood of nurses came in. One stayed gloved and ready cause I was pushing, and the on-call dr was not there yet. Within about 30 minutes of getting to the hospital, Kaden was born. It was such a rush. The months of pain & misery. The hours of pain and labor. The 30 minutes of pushing and delivering with no meds, was all worth it. You hear all the time how much you fall in love once your baby is born, but you can't even explain it until you experience it yourself. Micah and I were both in tears and in love with our beautiful baby. What made it even more special was that he made his appearance on Mother's Day! Talk about the best gift ever!! He'll never be able to beat that!

So, you've read the story of his arrival, time to meet:

Kaden McMahon


Getting all cleaned up.

It's hard to read, but his weight was 7 lbs, 3 oz and he was 19 in long.



All snuggled up, our beautiful boy.

The day after he was born, the hospital photographer came and took some pics.





The months of pain and misery were so worth the blessing we received in the end. We're in love, and we look forward to watching him grow up!!

0 comments: