Tuesday, August 28, 2012

DIY Dishwashing & Laundry Detergent {If I can do it, you can too!}

I've turned into one of those girls...the kind that will try anything to save a few bucks. These days, a few bucks goes a long ways. I've seen several "recipes" for DIY cleaners on Pinterest. Everything from carpet cleaners, to shower cleaners, to laundry detergent and more. I never really thought much about it until I was reading one of the blogs I frequent, Liz Marie Blog. Her post, here showed how she had made dishwashing detergent. At about $10, I couldn't resist trying it myself. Below are the few ingredients it took.
Ingredients: (My prices are estimates, as I can't find my receipt)
Borax: $4
Super Washing Soda: $3
Lemi-Shine: $4
Salt: $1(only use 1 cup)

All you do is dump all the ingredients in a container, and mix them. Her post said that she uses about 1 tablespoon per load. I'm in the middle of trying my first load now, so I'll let you know how it goes. 

 If it works out, we could be saving money on dishwashing detergent. Below is how much it made. I filled up my glass container, plus I had about a half of a gallon bag left over. I think this is going to go a long way. 

While reading about her dishwashing detergent, I decided to check out her laundry detergent here as well. It also looked simple enough, so I figured I'd try it. 
 Above are the Ingredients: (again, prices are estimates)
Borax: $4
Super Washing Soda: $3
Oxi Clean: $7
Fels-Naptha Soap (3 bars): $3
4lb box Baking Soda: $4
This one took a little more time in that I had to grate each bar of soap, but overall it was super easy. Again, just mix all the ingredients. She says it makes 4 gallons; I didn't measure, but it filled a big bucket. What you see in the jar (which is also bigger than it appears) is not all of it. And I believe she said she uses about 3 tablespoons. I'm really excited to see if I like how it works. All the reviews I read on her blog were great, and it appears that everyone loves it. I'll let you know how both work out after I've used them a few times. 



0 comments: