Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Train Museum

If you know us at all, you know that our little guy has a love for all things trains! 
This in no knew news. 
Our little town has a small train museum. I wasn't sure that there would be anything that K would be old enough to appreciate, other than just looking at the two rail cars they have...which turned out to be enough! I went with hopes of getting a good picture of him for his birthday party invites.
We're having a train themed party..Surprise!
I wasn't able to get the pics I hoped because we couldn't just freely walk around the area. It was a guided tour. However, we were the only people there, and the little, old man that gave us the tour loved K & loved watching him explore & shout "train" every time he saw one!

So, I did get some good pics. 
Our guide let K ring the bell...repeatedly!! 
 We walked into both rail cars. This is a conductor's chair. Little boy thought he was big stuff, and we had to bribe him to get him down!
 "Train! Mama, train! Train, Mama!" This is what I heard the whole tour!
 Cutest little conductor I know! The guide asked me where I got his "conductor" outfit. When I told him I got the overalls at Khols, he looked at me a little strange. :)
 This was in an original tower that was over 100 years old. All those switches controlled the tracks. The guide let K push/pull them, and then made sure I was taking pictures. :)
 Here he's looking out over all the "train tacks." I (and I'm sure he) was really hoping a train would pass by while we were there. 
 This is in a passenger train for "the rich," as our guide put it. It was much bigger than I thought. It had four rooms with beds, a sitting area, a small kitchen & a dining area.

 The museum has a few other random things, like this fire truck from the 40s, and a jail from the 1800s.
 Again, K thought he was big stuff driving the "fire tuk."
 And when we walked into this room filled with a full set-up, K was in Heaven! He so wanted to grab all the trains as they went by, but he was so fascinated watching. Every time, and I mean every time, a train went by, he shouted train! And there were several trains in there! A man spent 30 years building this set. (you only see a small part of it here.) He did everything, including painting the backgrounds. He had no family, so when he died, his neighbors called the museum to come get it.
 And this is our tired conductor as we're leaving. He didn't really want to leave, but he was so tired that he didn't put up too big of a fight! I think he had fun, and I think we'll be back again when he's a little older!

4 comments:

Dan said...

How'd you get him to wear a hat?

brandonmcmahon said...

(1) What got him so into trains?!
(2) Does he have the same fascination with semis/diesels/18-wheelers or anything else with an engine pulling trailors?
(3) I think this blog would make a great children's book for a kid of Kaden's age about a kid who went to the traim museum!

The Links said...

What a perfect outing for your train loving little boy!! What are you doing for his 2nd birthday? I can't decided what I want to do. I know he is having construction themed party because he loves trucks and tractors about as much as Kaden loves trains, but I can't decide if I want to do just family again or invite friends. The only problem is all of his friends are girls and I don't know how much girls will love contructions stuf!!

Unknown said...

Dan: I'm not sure. Maybe he knows that's what conductors do! I put it on him, and he just smiled at me. It fell off a couple times, and he'd try to put it back on.

Brandon: (1) Honestly, I'm not sure what caused his love for trains. I think it's because we had downloaded this video called the "number train." It was a train that counted from 1 to 10. Then we realized, or he discovered on youtube, that there was also a "color train," "alphabet train," etc. And then it grew from there. That's my only guess.... (2) He likes anything with wheels. Trucks, cars, buses, big trucks, etc. He also likes airplanes, helicopters, & boats. But trains are definitely his favorite! (3) I will leave the children's book writing to you! :) If you need more details from our trip, do let me know!